A 17-year-old student from Iași, Romania, died after allegedly drinking too many energy drinks. The teenager, who was attending a summer school, became ill unexpectedly. According to the emergency responders who arrived on the scene, he suffered a heart attack. Doctors caution that these drinks, particularly when taken with alcohol or medication, can lead to serious heart problems.
Yannis wanted to get a taste of student life by participating in a summer camp offered by "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" University while he was living with his grandparents in Iaşi. He unexpectedly woke up from sleep during the night and informed his fellow students that he was having trouble breathing. He fell on the floor and lost consciousness.
A Geography student rushed to his help and attempted CPR until emergency responders arrived.
Ionela Tanase, the teenager’s mother stated: "He [the student performing CPR] informed me that he had a pulse. He said, 'ma'am, I didn't want to quit, so I kept going even when I couldn't. His heart beat only once at first, and then...'"
The emergency responders performed CPR for another hour before pronouncing him dead. Yannis' classmates suspect he may have overindulged in energy drinks.
“He hadn't eaten in two days, had smoked heavily, and had consumed a large amount of energy drinks,” said his mother. “He had never had such drinks at home, and he had never requested me to purchase them for him!”
According to the postmortem examination, the 17-year-old student died of acute heart ischemia, which could have been caused by an excess of energy drinks.
"Energy drinks contain amino acids and substances that have a similar effect to amphetamines, leading to cardiovascular disorders, especially when consumed in large quantities," said Diana Cimpoeşu, Chief Physician at SMURD Iași's Emergency Department. "This danger increases when taken with drugs, alcohol, excessive nicotine, or dehydration."
Other parents are also concerned that this combination is popular among young people who are unaware of the dangers they are exposing themselves to.
"It gives them the energy to stay up all night on Facebook, on Instagram!" said the mother of a fellow student. "They are all agitated. They don't listen to each other and show no respect. They are impatient and constantly interrupt each other."
A 250ml dose of an energy drink typically contains 80 mg of caffeine, according to the manufacturers. In comparison, an espresso can have anywhere from 40 to 75 mg of caffeine. According to the Food Standards Agency, a healthy person can consume up to 400 mg of caffeine per day without having any negative side effects.